- Good Practices
: Working with autistic 6-years old child in an inclusive environment - Sredets Municipality Cildren Complex/ Kindergarten “Daga” - Debelt
The most important thing for the team from Kindergarten “Daga(Rainbow)" – Debelt, Sredets was to create an environment that’s supportive and tailored to the individual needs of the child to ensure inclusion in the group. As for adaptation of Alex(child with autism) in the “Daga(Rainbow)" KG - Debelt, it was crucial to build trust and cooperation between the family, the specialists and the teachers in the kindergarten. Practice has shown that when parents and teachers from the group are actively involved in the process of coordination and harmony between all sides, significant progress can be made in terms of the child’s progress.
The child was assisted during group work to facilitate its inclusion in gaming, training and daily activities and aid the correction of unacceptable behavior, the development of new adaptive models, and the ease of communication. Depending on the needs of the child, the teachers with the resource teacher judged how to work individually with the child.
- Included in school/society, Pupil well-being, Social communication
- Students age range:
- Curriculum area:
- Year period:
- All year long
- Step by step description, including actions to be developed for preparation and implementation:
- Music Therapy The main method we used to work with Alex for his inclusion and growth is so called “Shulverk system” - a "philosophy" of music education. This is an active form of work with musical instruments. The child responds to rhythm, movement, and music, which improves communication skills. Music therapy is entertaining and combats stress, creates a sense of belonging to the group, facilitates rapid rapprochement and confidence building. It gave to Alex the opportunity to use different ways of communication - through gestures, mimics, and musical instruments. Music gave the child emotional freedom and the opportunity for self-expression. Doll Theraphy The use of fairy tales and recreating engaging stories created an environment in which the child passes its feelings to the doll, forgetting about its problems and fears. In working with the child, emphasis was placed on its abilities and potential, not on its deficits. Group Work Role plays and teamwork with other children helped Alex to learn while having fun and made him feel comfortable among his peers, while they learned to accept his differences Preparing for School In the individual activities with the child we learn new concepts, recognizing animals, plants and objects. We learn letters, figures, short sentences and poems. Exercise Anxiety is characteristic for children with autism. Therefore, we focused on the physical development of the child. Physical exercise leads to physical strengthening, increased endurance, and reduces stress. Exercise also develops concentration and patience. Drawing and Contouring. Applied Art.
- Resources to be used, including human resources, materials and spaces:
- The team: – 1 Special needs child’s teacher, 2 kindergarten and 2 english teachers. Materials – visuals, tests, worksheets, graphics, power point presentations; interactive board activities, the website https://smart-asd.eu/
- Difficulties found while implementing it:
- Teachers on other subjects are poorly trained to work with Autistic children. There is a need for specialized training for non-specialist teachers.
- The official webpage for the good practice: